The payment model for PSP's learning modules is changing as of next month. The change affects the timing of payment, not the total amount of funds available. The policy change will apply to learning module cohorts with their first learning session on or after November 1st.
What the change means for participating doctors
As doctors are encouraged to make improvements in practice during learning modules, payments will be linked to the creation of an action plan (more below). The plan outlines what test and/or improvement activity the practice will be undertaking during the action period. In-practice supports are available to doctors and their MOAs to help support the testing/improvement efforts.
Learning modules include three interactive group learning sessions. The first two learning sessions are each followed by an action period, where participants work through what they learned during the session. The third and final learning session is followed by a period of reflection regarding what the participant learned from all of the sessions.
How doctors will receive payments
Doctors will receive payments in two lump sums for meeting with RST coordinators, learning session participation time, and an attempted change in practice.
The first payment will be made upon the completion of first learning session and action period (i.e. documented action plan) when the participant attends the second learning session. The first payment includes the following:
- Payment for optional pre module visit, if you met with a RST coordinator (up to 1 hour)
- Payment for MOA to attend the pre module visit (up to 1 hour, same as time spent)
- Payment for attending learning session 1 (up to 3.5 hours) and for MOA(s) for 4 hours*
- Payment for completing action period 1 (i.e. documented action plan)
o Potential total: GPs – $ 1,445; MOAs – $100
*Note: these totals are based on the exact number of hours in session and at the pre module visit and only paid if and when the first action period’s action plan is complete and second session is attended.
The second payment will be made upon the completion of the second learning session and action period, and the attendance of the third learning session.
- Payment for attending session 2 (up to 3.5 hours) and for MOA(s) for 4 hours**
- Payment for attending session 3 (up to 3.5 hours) and for MOA(s) for 4 hours**
- Payment for completing action period 2 (if applicable)
o Potential total: GPs – $ 1,540.18; MOAs – $ 160
**Note: these totals are based on the exact number of hours in session and only paid if and when the second action period (i.e. documented action plan) is complete and the second and third sessions are attended.
What this mean for Mainpro+ credits
All nine of PSP’s learning modules are certified for continuing medical education credits. The following must be completed for credits to be awarded:
- All 3 learning sessions (Note: Credits and payment will be based on the exact number of attendance hours in learning sessions)
- At least 1 action period
- The Post-Activity Reflective Questionnaire (completed two months after learning session 3)
For more information or questions, please contact your local RST coordinator.