Use patient data to inform and plan proactive patient care
Panel management is a process of proactively managing a defined population of patients, using EMR data to identify and respond to patient’s chronic and preventative care needs.
Panel management is a key step for a practice to take to establish a patient medical home.
Panel management enables family doctors to understand both the patients they are taking care of, and what those patients need. The concept is simple: better information about patients leads to better care for patients.
By using EMR data to proactively manage patient panels, doctors and their practice teams can:
- Organize services and team members appropriately to best serve patients.
- Provide proactive and preventative care for all patients they see, including those who have not actively engaged the family practice through recent visits.
- Plan and streamline care and supports for prevalent health conditions among patients.
- Advocate for appropriate resources to meet patients’ needs, such as allied care providers and community services for vulnerable patients.
- Along with other physicians, use aggregated data to plan patient supports and services in the community as a whole.
Having an accurate and optimized patient panel is a key step in a practice’s transition to a patient medical home, and enables GPs to participate in teams and networks that effectively support their patients’ needs.
Patients get more preventative and proactive care, and appropriate supports.
With a managed panel, doctors can:
- Use accurate panel information to make the most of their time and resources.
- Improve preventative and proactive care.
- Organize team members to best serve patients.
A three-phase approach to panel management guides doctors and their teams to use tools and workflow processes that enable data-informed, proactive care:
- Empanelment: Develop an accurate list of active patients by confirming the patient-provider relationship and most responsible provider.
- Panel Clean-up: Develop accurate and up-to-date clinical registries for three to five chosen disease indicators.
- Panel Optimization: Develop accurate and up-to-date clinical registries for 10 to 15 disease indicators to provide planned, proactive care.
For more information about panel management, please contact the GPSC’s Practice Support Program.
- Panel Development Incentive ($6,000)
Compensates eligible family doctors for undertaking and completing the three phases of panel management.
- Panel Management Manual and Workbook
Guides GPs and practice teams through the phases of panel management step-by-step.
- In-Practice Coaching
Provides assistance directly in practices. Get started by contacting your PSP Regional Support Team.
- EMR-based Panel Management Tools
Help update patient information and develop disease registries. Get started by contacting your PSP Regional Support Team.