The GPSC has introduced a new grant to help cover expenses incurred when family doctors join or form a new or expanded group practice. The Group Family Practice Development Grant, which provides up to $30,000 per eligible physician, addresses feedback from family doctors that significant expenditures of closing and/or merging offices are holding them back from forming or consolidating group practices.
Group family practice improves patient access to care, allows for more flexible scheduling, enables physicians to share the responsibilities and costs of managing their practices, facilitates physician coverage when needed, and supports physician wellness. In addition, working in a group practice makes it easier for doctors to implement team-based care, helping to broaden the clinical supports available to their patients.
How much can I claim?
Each individual family physician in the group practice can claim up to $30,000 with a maximum combined total of $200,000 per consolidated group family practice. For example, if an existing group practice of three doctors adds an additional doctor to the practice, then each of the four doctors may claim up to $30,000 in eligible expenses. The combined claim of a group family practice cannot exceed $200,000. The grant covers eligible expenses incurred between September 1, 2020 and March 1, 2022. Applications for the grant must be submitted by March 31, 2022.
What does the grant cover?
The Group Family Practice Development Grant offers financial support to help cover expenses such as:
- Ending a lease.
- Merging or transferring medical records and software licensing fees.
- Moving or relocating to a new clinic space. Family doctors moving or relocating need to transfer their patient panels to the new group practice or to another family physician.
- Expanding or renovating clinic space.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, family doctors, including new to practice family doctors, need to meet all of the following criteria:
- Have joined or formed a new or expanded, group family practice with three or more co-located family physicians;
- Have incurred costs, between September 1, 2020 and March 1, 2022, toward consolidating the new or expanded group family practice;
- Are practicing as a Community Longitudinal Family Physician (CLFP) as defined in the GPSC Preamble.
How do I apply?
Applications for the grant are made after the new or expanded group family practice has been formed. The group family practice will submit an online application form on behalf of the eligible family physicians. On the application form, the family practice will list expenses incurred by each doctor – individual physicians should not submit separate applications.
Where can I learn more?
Doctors who are considering joining or forming a consolidated group family practice and claiming this grant are encouraged to contact the GPSC billing team to clarify eligibility. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries. The FAQ provides more details about the grant.