The Community Longitudinal Family Physician (CLFP) Payment recognizes community-based family physicians who work under fee-for-service and who care for a panel of patients for providing long-term, relationship-based care.
2021 CLFP Payment
Eligible physicians will receive an email with instructions on how to claim the 2021 CLFP Payment before the end of September 2021. Eligible doctors will receive the 2021 CLFP Payment in a single installment no later than January 2022. The exact payment amount for individual physicians is stated in MSP remittance statement under Adjustment Code "CP".
Longitudinal care includes providing patients with ongoing medical care, maintaining patients’ medical records, and coordinating referrals to other health care providers when needed. The CLFP Payment recognizes the additional, non-clinical responsibilities required to provide ongoing, coordinated care for which fee-for-service physicians are not compensated.
An eligible physician will receive a total annual payment amount of no less than $3,000 and up to $12,000, with exact payment amount per individual physician based on the number and complexity of Majority Source of Care (MSOC) patients associated with the physician in the MSP database.
The CLFP Payment may be subject to business arrangements pertaining to how MSP payments paid to particular payee numbers are split between physicians and clinic owners. In these cases, physicians and clinic owners are encouraged to come to a mutual agreement on how existing business arrangements apply to the CLFP Payment.
Fee-for-service, community-based family physicians are eligible for the 2021 CLFP Payment if they meet the following conditions:
- Meet the requirements for and submit the GPSC Portal Code (14070) by the MSP cut-off date of July 5, 2021.
- Had 50 or more patients for whom the physician was the Majority Source of Care (MSOC) provider based on fee-for-service family physician visits in 2020.
Family physicians who meet the requirements of the CLFP Portal Code (14070) should submit 14070 on an annual basis to ensure they are considered for future CLFP Payments. The submission of 14070 signifies that a physician is:
- A community longitudinal family physician (as defined in the GPSC Preamble), with an office from which they provide in-person medical services to a known panel of patients;
- The most responsible provider (MRP) for the majority of the patient’s longitudinal primary medical care, providing continuous comprehensive coordinated family practice services to patients, and will continue to do so for the duration of that calendar year;
- Confirming doctor-patient relationship with existing patients through a standardized conversation or “family physician-patient compact”; and,
- Able to produce a list of active patients for whom they are the MRP.
Family physicians are encouraged to post the family physician – patient compact in their examination rooms and to have conversations with patients to confirm physician-patient relationships. See here for suggested approaches for enhancing relational continuity between family physicians (and their teams) and patients.
More information about the previous 2020 CLFP Payment.
New to Practice Family Physicians
New to practice family physicians who are not eligible for the 2021 CLFP Payment based on the eligibility criteria above may be eligible for a modified 2021 CLFP Payment of $3000.
To be eligible, new to practice family physicians must:
- Have started medical practice in BC on or after April 1, 2017.
- Meet the requirements for and submit the CLFP Portal Code (14070) in 2021.
- Not have qualified for any CLFP Payments in previous years (2019, 2020, 2021).
- Began practicing as a community longitudinal family physician in BC prior to August 1, 2021.
Eligible family physicians will receive an email in January 2022 from GPSC containing instructions on how to claim their payment. Each physician can only receive the new to practice CLFP Payment once. Physicians receiving the new to practice CLFP Payment will no longer be eligible for future new to practice CLFP Payments in subsequent years (but may be eligible for regular CLFP Payments).
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.