The Community Longitudinal Family Physician (CLFP) Payment recognizes family physicians who work under fee-for-service and provide long-term, relationship-based care for a panel of patients.
2022 CLFP Payment
More information about the 2022 CLFP Payment will be communicated in fall 2022.
If you have questions about the CLFP Payment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CLFP Payment values relational continuity – trusting, therapeutic relationships developed over time between patient and family physician (and their team), in which the patient sees this family physician the majority of time.
The CLFP Payment recognizes that developing relational continuity entails additional indirect patient care activities, for which fee-for-service physicians are not compensated, like maintaining medical records, coordinating referrals, reviewing test results, and more.
For the 2022 CLFP Payment, an eligible family physician will receive no less than $4,000 and up to $12,000, with total annual payment amounts – based on the number and complexity of Majority Source of Care (MSOC) patients associated with individual family physicians in the MSP database.
The CLFP Payment may be subject to business arrangements pertaining to how MSP payments are split between physicians and clinic owners. In these cases, physicians and clinic owners are encouraged to come to a mutual agreement on how existing business arrangements apply to the CLFP Payment.
For more information:
- General FAQ - CLFP Payment FAQs
- Detailed FAQ on CLFP Payment methodology - CLFP Payment Methodology FAQs
- More questions? Please contact email@example.com.
Fee-for-service, community-based family physicians are eligible for the 2022 CLFP Payment if they meet the following conditions:
- Meet the requirements for and submit the CLFP Portal Code (14070) by the MSP cut-off date of July 5, 2022.
- Provided Majority of Source Care (MSOC) for 50 or more patients, based on fee-for-service visits in 2021.
Family physicians who meet the requirements of the CLFP Portal Code (14070) should submit 14070 on an annual basis to ensure they are considered for future CLFP Payments. The submission of 14070 signifies that a physician is:
- A community longitudinal family physician (as defined in the GPSC Preamble), with an office from which they provide in-person medical services to a known panel of patients.
- The most responsible provider (MRP) for the majority of the patient’s longitudinal primary medical care, providing continuous comprehensive coordinated family practice services to patients, and will continue to do so for the duration of that calendar year.
- Confirming doctor-patient relationship with existing patients through a standardized conversation or “family physician-patient compact.”
- Able to produce a list of active patients for whom they are the MRP.
Family physicians are encouraged to post the family physician – patient compact in their examination rooms and to have conversations with patients to confirm physician-patient relationships. For suggested approaches for enhancing relational continuity between family physicians (and their teams) and patients, read the Relational Continuity clinical practice guideline (PDF).
More information about the previous 2021 CLFP Payment.
New-to-practice family physicians
New-to-practice family physicians who are not eligible for the 2022 CLFP Payment based on the eligibility criteria above may be eligible for a modified 2022 CLFP Payment of $4000.
To be eligible, new to practice family physicians must:
- Meet the requirements for and submit the CLFP Portal Code (14070) in 2022.
- Not have qualified for any CLFP Payments in previous years (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022).
- Have begun practicing as a community longitudinal family physician in BC prior to August 1, 2022.
Eligible family physicians will receive an email from GPSC in January 2023 with instructions on how to claim their payment. Physicians receiving the new to practice CLFP Payment will no longer be eligible for future new to practice CLFP Payments in subsequent years (but may be eligible for regular CLFP Payments).
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.