Group family practices can now apply for pre-approval of the Group Family Practice Development Grant before incurring expenses.
The GPSC added pre-approvals to the Group Family Practice Development Grant to better support family doctors exploring group practice options. Pre-approvals make it easier for family doctors to check if they eligible for this grant and which expenses they can claim when expanding or joining a group practice.
What is this grant?
The GPSC introduced a new grant in April 2021 to help cover expenses incurred when family doctors join or form a new or expanded group practice. The Group Family Practice Development Grant, which provides up to $30,000 per eligible physician, addresses feedback from family doctors that significant expenditures of closing and/or merging offices are holding them back from forming or consolidating group practices.
How does the grant work?
The group family practice submits an online application form on behalf of the eligible family physicians. On the application form, the family practice will list expenses incurred or expected to be incurred by each physician. Individual physicians should not submit separate applications. If expenses have not yet been incurred, the group family practice may submit copies of cost estimates or quotations to request pre-approval for the grant prior to incurring expenses. After the application has been approved, the group family practice has three months to submit receipts to claim eligible expenses. The grant payments are paid directly to the claiming physician.
What does the grant cover?
The Group Family Practice Development Grant offers financial support to help cover expenses such as:
- Ending a lease.
- Merging or transferring medical records and software licensing fees.
- Moving or relocating to a new clinic space. Family doctors moving or relocating need to transfer their patient panels to the new group practice or to another family physician.
- Expanding or renovating clinic space.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, family doctors, including new to practice family doctors, need to meet all of the following criteria:
- Have joined or formed a new or expanded group family practice with three or more co-located family physicians;
- Have incurred costs, between September 1, 2020 and March 1, 2022, toward consolidating the new or expanded group family practice;
- Are practicing as a Community Longitudinal Family Physician (CLFP) as defined in the GPSC Preamble
When is the deadline for applications?
The grant covers eligible expenses incurred between September 1, 2020 and March 1, 2022. Applications for the grant must be submitted by March 31, 2022.
Where can I learn more?
Doctors who are considering joining or forming a consolidated group family practice and claiming this grant are encouraged to contact the GPSC billing team to clarify eligibility. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries. The FAQ provides more details about the grant.